Monday, January 9, 2012

Grandma Olson's Homemade Pineapple Ice Cream

Okay, Karyn, I will try to explain these as best I can. It's my favorite and I love making it because I get to eat the whole thing because Matt hates it! Yay!

Here are some tips for ice cream making and this recipe in particular.

All ice cream "batters" should taste overly sweet before it is frozen. When it freezes, it will calm down the sweetness. (That being said, this recipe actually calls for a 1/2 cup more sugar than I put here. That makes it a little TOO sweet. lol)

This recipe is a little finicky. Because the citrus in all the juices can actually curdle the milk and cream. It is very important to make this one exactly as described to prevent that. Sugar will prevent that from happening.

Sometimes I play around with the cream content. If I want it to have less cream, I will either lessen the amount of cream I put in or substitute skim milk for whole.

These recipes will need to be adjusted if your ice cream maker is a rather large one of a rather small one. You can do this by tasting it! OR calling me. lol

Most ice cream makers can only be ran for an hour at the most. But if the motor stops, unplug it. You can burn out the motor if you don't and there goes the ice cream maker.

16-oz. pineapple juice
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 cups orange juice
2 cups sugar
2 1/2 pints cream
whole milk

--Mix juices together. Then mix sugar in until it is dissolved. The slowly mix cream into the mixture. Put mixture into ice cream maker and fill to the fill line with milk. Turn on the ice cream maker and fill with ice and small amounts of salt.

I have no measurement for the salt. I put maybe half a cup in every 5 to 8 inches of ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment