Monday, January 9, 2012

Chocolate Ice Cream

There are many ways to make ice cream. A lot of the recipes call for eggs and I've always made ice cream without it because my mom was worried about using raw eggs. If you use eggs it will give it a more custardy taste, which is good, but I can't tell you how to make it. I've never done it. lol

This is my dad's chocolate ice cream. I don't usually make it because it is my third favorite and I have two ice cream makers so it loses.

Karyn, you'll just have to come this summer so we can make all three of them together...

1 bottle chocolate syrup
1-2 cups sugar
1 pint cream
*1 cup crushed Oreo cookie crumbs

--Mix ingredients together. Add enough milk to fill freezer.

*Cookies are totally optional, but they should be added at the end of the freezing cycle. Or leave them out and have chocolate ice cream.

2 comments:

  1. Kari...I remember eating this at one of the 4th of July family picnics (I think your dad made it that time). It was THE BEST chocolate ice cream I had ever eaten! I have since tried a couple of times to make it, and I cannot recreate the greatness...I think I'm messing up the size of chocolate bottle. Do you know what chocolate syrup your dad would use? Or which one you would use if you don't know his? (And would you go with 1 or 2 cups of sugar?) And what size ice cream maker does your dad have, so I can be sure to add the same amount of milk? (Maybe I should call your dad?) (: (: (:

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenna, I was thinking of you the entire time I posted this. Here are some things for you. It is a regular sized bottle of Hersey's syrup he uses. Having looked at your ice cream maker, I think it is bigger than the ones we use. We have a 4 quart ice cream maker. So if your is bigger than that, say 6 quart, you need to add another 1/3 to the recipe. About another 1/2 bottle of chocolate syrup, 1 cup of cream and 1 cup of sugar. And then fill with milk. Then taste it and see how it tastes. If it is overly sweet and chocolatey you have done it right. I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete