Saturday, May 28, 2011

Ruth's Chris Banana Cream Pie

We recently went to Ruth's Chris for dinner. Matt took me there for Mother's Day. And on a whole I'd say it was paying a whole lot for cow. But the one thing I told Matt I'd gladly go back and overpay for is the Banana Cream Pie. Oh was that so yummy and the textures were fabulastic! But it occurred to me, I have no problem making this dessert on my own. So I looked up a recipe. And here is Groovy Mom's.

Vanilla Custard:

1/2 c. sugar
3 Tbsp. corn starch
1/2 tsp. salt
4 egg yolks
3 cups milk
2 Tbsp. butter
2 tsp. vanilla

Bring sugar, corn starch, salt, egg yolks and milk to a boil in a heavy sauce pan. Whisking constantly, boil for 20 minutes or until thick. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla. Chill for 2 hours, covered in refrigerator.

For pie:

Use baked pie crust. Bake at 400 degrees for 12 minutes. If you want the same shape as the Ruth's Chris version, shape crust in a Corning ware bowl. Once crust has cooled, line with 3 sliced bananas, overlapping. Sprinkle with sugar and put until 475 degree broiler or use a cooking torch to caramelize the sugar and bananas.

No comments:

Post a Comment