Friday, May 27, 2011

Limonata

I went to Cafe Paeson with my mom and wanted to try this lemon soda that they had. I loved it. And since I loved it, of course I had to look up a recipe for it. Especially since it is hard to find in the United States because it is an Italian drink. So I looked up a couple recipes on the internet. I hope they taste good.

Limonata (done the freshest and most traditional way):

2 cups lemon juice (10-12 lemons or use bottled lemon juice, see above suggestions)
2 cups Basil Simple Syrup (need 1 bunch of washed, fresh basil added as you are cooking the Simple Syrup then removed/strained out prior to cooling the Syrup)
2 cups water
2 liter bottle of sparkling soda water
1-2 lemons sliced thinly for floating on the surface

1) Combine the lemon juice, Basil Simply Syrup and water and chill in the refrigerator, along with your bottle of soda water, for several hours.

2) Just prior to serving, slowly add the soda water to your mixture and stir with a wooden spoon. Add the lemon slices and serve.

Variation: The Basil does add a particular flavor and can be omitted, if preferred. You could also make a Lemon or Lemon-Lime Simple Syrup to add more lemon flavor or an unflavored Simple Syrup all using the same Simple Syrup recipe as above.

Limonata ‘Punch’ (non-alcoholic) done the easy way for a crowd:

1 can frozen lemonade, prepared as directed
1/2 cup lemon juice (2-3 lemons)
1 2 liter bottle of lemon-lime soda
1-2 lemons sliced thinly for floating on the surface


*I have to admit I am much more interested in the traditional recipe than that cheater recipe. But who knows. They might both be awesome...

No comments:

Post a Comment