Sunday, August 6, 2017

Cheesy Italian Tortellini

This is a recipe I got from my mom. The ingredients on this one can add up really quickly, but it tastes REALLY good. I use this one sometimes when I want to impress someone.

1/2 lb. ground beef (I use turkey)
1/2 lb. Italian Sausage (I prefer not spicy for this recipe)
1 container (15-oz.) refrigerated marinara sauce* (I prefer Buitoni brand)
1 can (14 1/2-oz.) diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings, undrained**
1 package (9-oz.) refrigerated cheese tortellini (I prefer Buitoni brand to anything else.)
1 cup shredded mozzarella or pizza style cheese (4-oz.)

Break beef and sausage into large pieces in a 10-inch skillet. Cook over medium heat about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until brown. Spray inside of 4- to 5-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Mix beef mixture mixture, marinara sauce, and tomatoes in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat setting 7 to 8 hours. Stir in tortellini; sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook on low heat setting about 15 minutes longer or until tortellini is tender.

4-6 servings.

*To make your own marinara sauce: Saute 1-2 garlic cloves, chopped onion and green pepper in olive oil. Add 2 1/2 cups canned tomatoes (or fresh), 1/2 tsp. oregano and 1 Tbsp. chopped parsley. (If using fresh tomatoes add 1/2 tsp. salt.) Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. (FOR THE RECORD: I have never made this sauce recipe because I think it sounds gross.)
**A can of plain-diced tomatoes and 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasonings can be used.

No comments:

Post a Comment