Friday, June 1, 2012

Rice Krispie Treats

I know.

This is an old standard.

But every time I've made it recently it was so hard and unpleasant.  The ones that are in the little blue packages taste funny.  They have a slightly bitter taste that is SCREAMING preservatives.  These are really not hard to make.  I used to make them all the time and they were awesome.  But what had I done?  How could I make them as awesome as I remember them being?

So I looked up the recipe.

And someone had nicely done an experiment on the best way to make Rice Krispie Treats and posted the results.

Awesome.

The full results are HERE.

But I'm going to tell you what I got out of it.  Add extra marshmallows.  (Which I kind of assumed, but I wasn't sure the of the amount.)

So here is the recipe as far as I am concerned:

               4 tbsp. butter
               5 cups mini-marshmallows
               5 3/4 cups Rice Krispies

--Over very low heat, melt butter in a pot.  Once melted, add marshmallows, melt thoroughly and cook for one more minute.  Turn off heat and stir in the cereal.  Transfer into a pan, cover with wax paper and press down.  Allow 20 minutes to cool and cut up and eat.  Best if eaten fresh.

Variation:  Add 1/2 cup of peanut butter to the marshmallow mixture.  Make the same way after that, but drizzle chocolate on top.

One of my favorite things are regular Rice Krispies dipped in chocolate.  So good.

No comments:

Post a Comment