Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Magleby's Fresh French Toast

I love eating out for breakfast at Magelby's Fresh. My favorite is the french toast. Okay, I also love their breakfast burrito. Mmmmm. So I wanted to make the french toast. After testing it several times (it was a trial, but someone had to do it), I decided that the trick wasn't in the actual french toast but in the syrup and fruit & cream.

Also, since I am often alone for dinner, I LOVE making breakfast for dinner. If I didn't have kids, I'd just wait for Matt to come home and we could make something together. But no, it's breakfast for dinner. So here is what I did:

Made french toast. I usually do a mixture of 50% eggs to 50% milk. And then I cooked it.

Next I followed the below recipe for the syrup:

Buttermilk Syrup
1 cube butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1 Tbsp. corn syrup
1/2 tsp. baking soda
Bring first five ingredients to a boil. Remove from heat immediately and add Baking Soda. To avoid boil over I use a fairly deep, heavy pan.

Then I made homemade cream and fruit. I used powdered sugar in the cream because I ran out of regular sugar. And I used frozen fruit because my kids ate all the fresh stuff.

But it tasted the same. Of course, sometimes it isn't a matter of whether or not I can do it, but whether or not I want to cook that day.

This would be great for large parties.

**Note: This met with rave reviews. My french toast haters are now asking for it every day. And Matt loved it too. This was a MEGA hit at our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment